HOW TO SALVAGE YOUR DODGY MITCHUM DEODORANT

A review on the Mitchum Clinical Deodorant and tips on how to save your deodorant if the packaging is dodgy!

Hey guys, bit of a random post today but I hope someone out there may find this useful! It's about the Mitchum Clinical Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant in Powder Fresh..... which is also available in pure fresh, sport and unscented. I believe internationally it is called the Mitchum Ultimate Anti-Perspirant & Deodorant Cream

Mitchum Clinical Deodorant aka Mitchum Ultimate Anti-perspirant & Deodorant Cream Review and how to fix the sucky knob


When I sadly realised that normal deodorants were probably never going to cut it for me and I'd remain a sweaty mess frantically trying to dry myself in toilet cubicle #tmi. I decided to it was time to shell out on a clinical deodorant. I read some really good reviews on beautyheaven about the Mitchum one and as a sucker for hype, it was the chosen one.

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aluminium Zirconium Tetrachlorochydrex Gly,Tribehenin, Dimethicone, Parfum (Fragrance), Petrolatum, Trisiloxane, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Hydrogen Peroxide, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Sodium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Aqua ((Water) Eau), Silica Dimethicone Silyate, Silica, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Limonene, Hexyl Cinnamal, Coumarin, Citronellol, Geraniol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Citral 23307
Magic Ingredients

Now, I'm not sure about you, but usually $13 is quite a bit to spend on a deodorant. There are a lot of things I could buy for $13 that I'd definitely enjoy - 21 dumplings from Ping's, multiple makeup items from the Essence stand or six and a half $2 body sprays from K-Mart! However, I'd be more than happy to shell out if it worked. The good thing is that it did! It actually kept me dry for a decent amount of time, especially when I put it on the night before so I was happy chap!

One slight thing is not only does the powder fresh smell is quite strong, I actually found it difficult to sleep with it because it was just so in your face! Maybe I put too much? But it's better than B.O so I'm not complaining too much right??

How to fix your Mitchum Deodorant

Right. Anyway, Now the real unfortunate thing is that it stopped working after 3 uses! 3 USES. $13 for just 3 uses?! Aw hell no. You're probably thinking how does a deodorant stop working after 3 uses? Well, let me tell you, it can! I soon discovered on the Mitchum Australia Facebook page that there's quite a few complaints (1, 2, 3) about the knob / turn dial which was exactly my problem. I should have done some more research into it, I read that it would be tricky to use, but not impossible!

Facebook complaint about the knob
You tell them girl! 

So let me explain. To use the product you pop the lid off and you twist the dial at the bottom to wind the appropriate amount of product up, sort of like that "blu stik" glue you had in school. Except nowhere as easy to get the product out. Anyway, after 3 or 4 uses, the knob / dial was completely stuck and wouldn't budge at all no matter how much force I tried to muster. I couldn't for the life of me wind up any product anymoe. 95% of product was stuck in the container forever. WTF!

Blu Glu Stick - Brings back memories
Blu Stik. Not the greatest deodorant. Very sticky. But at least I can get the product out!

Or so I thought

For some reason (I guess I was getting desperate), I decided to try the rubber band trick. You know the trick when you can't open a jar so you wrap a thick rubber band  around the lid to give you more grip? Well guess what? That's right! It actually worked! The dial actually moved and I could get some product out, yay! I was honestly so surprised because I thought the knob was stuck / broken for good. So all is it not lost guys, give this a try before you throw it out the window in frustration! I find that these types of rubber bracelets work a charm - just make sure it's not inside out like in the picture below and yes, a little force is required.

And Twist! (To the right) 

Did it work for you?? Let me know!!
Yo Mitchum, if you're somehow reading this, fix your dial/knob/twist thing packaging ASAP!
xx
Btw: I purchased mine from Chemist Warehouse, (cf. coles, woolworths)  not sure if that makes a difference in turn dial/knob quality

- A Mitchum Clinical Deoderant review Update Oct 2017 - Another Tip!

Hello! I'm back and it appears Mitchum packaging is still dodgy *tsk tsk tsk*. Anyway, are you twisting the dial but nothing seems to come out? Or it seems the knob is getting harder to twist despite the rubber band trick? This might help. You may need to push the "inner cap" back down.

! Beware some product may be dispensed so it would be best to try out this technique when you want to use it!

How to fix your deodorant 2.0
Click for a larger image

See in this picture how the "inner cap" it sort of lifted up out of position? To push it back down, pop the lid back on it and push down firmly. Once you take the lid off, the inner cap should be further down where it was (I don't think it'll ever become fully flush with the rest of the container though!). Some/a lot of product may pop out due to earlier futile twists, but it should make the dial easier to turn, until the inner cap tries to come back up again and you need to repeat the process!

16 comments:

  1. Great post Steph! Don't own this deodorant but had a bit of a giggle!

    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks Lauren! Glad someone appreciates my jokes ;P

      Delete
  2. Great! I won't buy it if it's like that! Thanks for the info, nice and funny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The product is actually works well, but the packaging lets it down heaps... hopefully they design a new one soon! No worries! Thanks for reading & commenting!

      Delete
    2. At the bottom of the tube there is a little circle, use the back of a pen to twist it and the product comes right up.

      Delete
    3. Didn't work for my roller. I tried several things it still won't crank and mine was brand new. What a waste of $5!

      Delete
  3. So true thank you for the info. Great joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg this tip was a lifesaver!!! Mitchum is such a good product but the worst packaging. After i tied rubber bands on mine it worked so easily!!! Thank youuu!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having exactly the same problem with the same deodorant. So glad to find your post. Just dug out a rubber bracelet and tried your suggestion and it worked instantly. Yeah!! Thank you for taking the time to post on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering if I was the only person having an issue and I googled up your post, haha! I found another hack... I stick a pair of nail clippers into the little indent on the bottom of the dial and use that as a sort of “wrench” to turn it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the bottom of the tube there is a little circle, I use the back of a pen to twist it and the product comes right up. Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am excited to try this, but frustrated that they won't fix the issue.
    Thanks so much...wish me luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have difficulty twisting the mechanism as well . I use the rubber band trick but it would be so much easier if the design was changed. When my current product is empty I’m going to take it apart to try to find out why it’s so hard to use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too was finding it really difficult to turn and then snap the green nob broke! Not even half way through. Very unhappy. The deodorant itself I've always found does the job.

    ReplyDelete

Over to you! (Your email won't be displayed)